Adverbs can be classified in intensifiers and downtoners.
- Intensifiers: Extremely, Very, Really.
- Downtoners: Fairly, Quite, Rahter.
Adjectives can be intensified by using adverbs such as rather, very or extremly:
- Ex: The person was completely dead.
- It was extremly hot in the room.
However some adjectives have already an extreme meaning. So these adjetives can only be intensified with adverbs such as absolutely, completely or utterly.
- Read that book was completely impossible.
Adverbs that can be used before gradable adjectives:
- Pretty, fairly, rather, quite, very. extremly, really(*), particullarly, terribly.
Adverbs that cannot be used before gradable adjectives (because they are extreme or absolute adjectives)
- rahter, utterly, absolutely, completely
(*) really can be used with both adjectives.